Case study: White Whale Coffee Roasters
With “coffee that does good” as a tagline, it is not surprising to find White Whale Coffee Roasters on the ecoBiz Star Partner list. They have best practice initiatives in place to reduce their energy use and waste.
Key initiatives to reduce waste
- Customers who bring their own container for small coffee orders get a discount.
- Cardboard and coffee grinds are separated and collected via a community network for reuse.
- Soft plastics are recycled using RedCycle facilities, and plastic and glass bottles are recycled via Containers for Change.
- Plastic tubs are donated to kindergartens and schools for art projects.
- Coffee bean plastic packaging is reused as waste bin liners.
- Coffee bean bags are resold or donated to clean-up initiatives.
- Their single-use coffee cups are made from plants and are compostable.
Key initiatives to manage energy use
- A 15kW solar system has been installed, an effective investment for a business that operates during the daytime.
- They have purchased an energy-efficient coffee roasting machine.
- Shutdown procedures to turn off machines overnight.
- A cardboard barrier partially blocks the sun in the afternoon so that drink fridges stay in the shade.