Queensland has a globally competitive life sciences sector. State Government investment over two decades in research, development and world-class infrastructure is paying dividends. The state is a highly attractive knowledge hub with successes in health, agriculture, the environment and industrial biotechnology utilising the state’s unique biodiversity, outstanding skills and infrastructure.
Key infrastructure and support
Queensland boasts a critical mass of research centres across biotechnology, food and agriculture, health and medical and offers a distinct advantage for conducting clinical trials. Queensland has nine universities including three of Australia’s ten largest universities. Details of the 200 plus centres in Queensland are available by searching the Queensland science capability directory.
The key industry-led organisation, Life Sciences Queensland works closely with and all levels of government providing leadership and growth and promotion opportunities for its 170 member organisations and businesses. The Queensland Life Sciences Industry Report 2012 provides an overview of growth in the biotechnology, medical devices and pharmaceuticals sectors.
Queensland life sciences
Discover more about Queensland's strengths and investment opportunities in the Queensland life sciences brochure.
Find out why top researchers and industry leaders are saying Queensland is one of the best places in the world for life science research.
Queensland has a globally competitive life sciences industry with a proven track record of success.
The Queensland Government has invested heavily in state-of-the-art research facilities which provide excellent base for scientists to work collaboratively.
Queensland biodiversity also presents significant opportunities for life sciences.
The researchers have achieved health breakthroughs such as Gardasil and Nanopatch that are world class.
Collaborating with researchers and investors, the Queensland life sciences industry will open up new opportunities.
Our investors and collaborators find it’s easy to do business here.
Professor Ian Frazer AC
The University of Queensland
Translational Research Ambassador
Chair of TRI Foundation Board
Co-inventor of Gardasil
Queensland has invested in over 20 years of providing the infrastructure that will enable businesses working in the life sciences to succeed.
It’s also invested heavily in education to ensure we’ve got the talent here to help businesses succeed.
Overall Queensland is just a great place to do biomedical research.
Chief Executive Officer
Life Sciences Queensland
Because we are a western economy in a tropical world Queensland has the opportunity to lead in tropical health and infectious diseases.
And of course our proximity to Asia gives us a unique position.
The Novartis deal which was announced around the pain research that was done by Professor Maree Smith has resulted in the largest exit of an Australian biotech to date.
And we know that we have more of those types of opportunities in the pipeline.
Dr Kym Baker
General Manager, Patheon Biologics
Patheon offer a one of a kind offering in Australia which is contract manufacturing of biotherapeutics which are destined for use in Australian and across the world.
Our customers love the clinical trial schemes that offers them that competitive advantage to get into the clinic faster.
Director Business and Project Management
We’ve been able to very successfully attract a lot of international business, in fact 90% of our customers come from overseas to work here in Queensland.
They see a high amount of value in the collaborations we have between the clinical trials sites, between the research organisations the universities as well as the government.
The incentives they can benefit from, the R&D tax incentives as well as the clinical trial access schemes that allows them to fast track into Phase 1 clinical trials faster than anywhere else in the world.
Professor Yaping Zhang
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Queensland has many excellent research institutions and incredible scientists and the Queensland Government encourages innovations and that is important for our collaboration.
Distinguished Professor James Dale AO, FTSE
Queensland University of Technology
We’ve got a very, very good regulatory environment for doing this sort of work and we can go all the way through to field trial.
We’ve got a very strong intellectual property environment as well.
So we’re starting to get a reputation for excellence in life sciences particularly in tropical crops.
Professor Yaping Zhang
Queensland is very nice to live, and a wonderful environment and a pleasant climate.
Professor James Dale AO
We’ve been the envy of most other states in Australia when we talk about the support we get in Queensland from particularly from the Queensland Government.
And of course that’s been translated into real outcomes which I think we’re seeing now tremendous outcome from that investment into life sciences in Queensland.
David Hoey, CEO Vaxxas
Queensland is a wonderful place to do business. It’s very straight forward. The technology that we’re working on here has the opportunity to fundamentally change the way that vaccination takes place around the world.
We’re working with the World Health Organisation, the Gates Foundation on programs that can fundamentally improve vaccination in the developing world.
But the best place that we’ve found to do that development is right here.
Queensland has amazing researchers, strong medical capabilities and an enviable lifestyle.
Queensland the right place for life sciences research and collaboration.
Translating research outcomes into real life solutions to many of the challenges we face today.
We encourage investors and collaborators to experience why Queensland is the right place for your next venture in life sciences.
Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
Chinese Academy of Sciences
James Cook University
Life Sciences Queensland
QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute
The University of Queensland
Tourism and Events Queensland
TRI (Translational Research Institute)
Queensland Life Sciences
For more information… www.qld.gov.au/LifeSciences
Investing or collaborating in Queensland life sciences
There are plenty of exciting opportunities for collaboration or investment with Queensland’s life sciences sector.
Queensland life sciences research centres
Queensland boasts a critical mass of research centres across a range of sectors with over 180 institutes, facilities, research hospitals, precincts, laboratories and other research organisations involved in the life sciences sector.
- Advanced Water Management Centre AWMC
- Agricultural Health & Medicine Research Group AgH&M
- Agricultural Systems Modelling Research Group ASMRG
- Applethorpe Research Facility
- Army Malaria Institute AMI
- Aus-China Centre for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine ACCTERM
- Australian Centre for Pacific Islands Research ACPIR
- Australian Centre for Robotic Vision ACRV
- Australian Infectious Diseases Research Centre AID
- Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology AIBN
- Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention AISRAP
- Australian Institute of Marine Science AIMS
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine AITHM
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine, Cairns
- Australian Prostate Cancer Research Centre - Queensland APCRC-Q
- Australian Rivers Institute ARI
- Australian Tropical Herbarium ATH
- Australian Tropical Science and Innovation Precinct ATSIP
- Australian e-Health Research Centre AEHRC
- Ayr Research Facility
- Banyo Pilot Plant
- BioBank BB
- Bond University
- Bowen Research Facility
- Brian Pastures Research Facility
- Bribie Island Research Centre
- Central Analytical Research Facility CARF
- Central Queensland University CQUniversity
- Central Queensland University - Brisbane CQUniversity
- Central Queensland University - Bundaberg CQUniversity
- Central Queensland University - Cairns CQUniversity
- Central Queensland University - Gladstone CQUniversity
- Central Queensland University - Mackay CQUniversity
- Central Queensland University - Townsville CQUniversity
- Centre for Actuarial and Financial Big Data Analytics CAFBDA
- Centre for Advanced Imaging CAI
- Centre for Animal Health Innovation CAHI
- Centre for Animal Science CAS
- Centre for Autism Spectrum Disorder CASD
- Centre for Biodiscovery and Molecular Development of Therapeutics CBMDT
- Centre for Biosecurity and Tropical Infectious Diseases CBTID
- Centre for Children’s Health Research CCHR
- Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention CCDP
- Centre for Clinical Research UQCCR
- Centre for Comprehensive Biomedical Imaging ACRF-CCBI
- Centre for Crop Health CCH
- Centre for Genetics, Ecology and Physiology
- Centre for Health Sciences Research CHSR
- Centre for Human Factors & Sociotechnical Systems CHFSS
- Centre for Immunotherapy and Vaccine Development QIMR-CIVD
- Centre for Integrated Preclinical Drug Development CIPDD
- Centre for Integrative Legume Research CILR
- Centre for Macroalgal Resources & Biotechnology MACRO
- Centre for Marine Microbiology and Genetics Research CMMG
- Centre for Medical Diagnostic Technologies Queensland MedTeQ
- Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis CMM
- Centre for Nutrition and Food Science CNAFS
- Centre for Online Health COH
- Centre for Plant Science QAAFI CPS
- Centre for Research in Evidence-Based Practice CREBP
- Centre for Sustainable Tropical Fisheries and Aquaculture CSTFA
- Centre for Tropical Biodiversity and Climate Change CTBCC
- Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities CTCB
- Centre for Tropical Water & Aquatic Ecosystem Research - Cairns TropWATER
- Centre for Tropical Water & Aquatic Ecosystem Research - Townsville TropWATER
- Centre for Urology Research CUR
- Centre for Work, Organisation and Wellbeing WOW
- Centre of Excellence for Applied Sport Science Research
- Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies CoralCoE
- Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions CEED
- Clem Jones Centre for Ageing Dementia Research CJCADR
- Clem Jones Research Centre for Regenerative Medicine CJRCRM
- Clinical Trials Centre CTC
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO
- Community for Open Antimicrobial Drug Discovery CO-ADD
- Comparative Genomics Centre CGC
- Compounds Australia
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries DAF
- Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation DSITI
- Diamantina Institute UQDI
- Ecology Centre
- Ecosciences Precinct ESP
- Forensic and Scientific Services FSS
- Forest Industries Research Centre FIRC-USC
- Functional Foods Research Group FFRG
- Genomics Clinical Trials Centre GCT
- Genomics Research Centre GRC
- Global Change Institute GCI
- Griffith Institute for Drug Discovery GRIDD
- Griffith University GU
- Griffith University - Gold Coast GU
- Griffith University - Logan GU
- Griffith University - Mt Gravatt GU
- Health & Medical Research Centre HMRC
- Health and Food Sciences Precinct
- Heron Island Research Station HIRS
- Herston Imaging Research Facility HIRF
- Inflammation and Healing Research Cluster INFLAME
- Institute for Agriculture and the Environment IAgE
- Institute for Future Environments IFE
- Institute for Glycomics
- Institute for Integrated and Intelligent Systems IIIS
- Institute for Molecular Bioscience IMB
- Institute for Social Science Research ISSR
- Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation IHBI
- Institute of Health and Sport
- International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health ILAQH
- James Cook University JCU
- James Cook University - Cairns JCU
- James Cook University - Mackay Education Research Centre JCU
- James Cook University - Mount Isa Centre for Rural and Remote Health JCU
- James Cook University - Thursday Island JCU
- Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital LCCH
- Leslie Research Facility LRC
- Life Sciences Queensland Ltd LSQ
- Mackay Renewable Biocommodities Pilot Plant MRBPP
- Mareeba Research Facility
- Maroochy Research Facility
- Mater Research
- Mater Research Institute MRI-UQ
- Medical Engineering Research Facility MERF
- Menzies Health Institute Queensland MenziesHIQ
- Moreton Bay Research Station MBRS
- NURTURE Research Cluster NURTURE
- Nanomaterials Centre Nanomac
- National Centre for Engineering in Agriculture NCEA
- National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility NCCARF
- Northern Fisheries Centre NFC
- Pharmacy Australia Centre of Excellence PACE
- Princess Alexandra Hospital PAH
- QFAB Bioinformatics QFAB
- QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute
- Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation QAAFI
- Queensland Alliance for Environmental Health Sciences QAEHS
- Queensland Animal Science Precinct QASP
- Queensland Bioscience Precinct QBP
- Queensland Brain Institute QBI
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research QCMHR
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research - Mowry Laboratory QCMHR
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research - Neurobiology Laboratory QCMHR
- Queensland Cerebral Palsy and Rehabilitation Research Centre QCPRRC
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, CQU QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, GU QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, JCU QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, QUT QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, UQ QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, USQ QCIF
- Queensland Eye Institute QEI
- Queensland Herbarium
- Queensland Museum
- Queensland University of Technology QUT
- Queensland University of Technology - Caboolture QUT
- Queensland University of Technology - Kelvin Grove QUT
- RECOVER Injury Research Centre - Gold Coast
- RECOVER Injury Research Centre - Logan
- RECOVER Injury Research Centre - St Lucia
- Redden St Research Facility
- Reef and Rainforest Research Centre RRRC
- Research Computing Centre RCC
- Research Hub for Advanced Prawn Breeding
- Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital
- Salisbury Research Facility
- South Johnstone Research Facility
- Spyglass Beef Research Facility
- Sugar Research Australia Limited SRA
- Sugar Research Institute SRI
- The Chemistry Centre
- The Museum of Tropical Queensland
- The University of Queensland UQ
- The University of Queensland - Gatton UQ
- The University of Queensland - Herston UQ
- Townsville Hospital THHS
- Translational Research Institute TRI
- UQ School of Chemistry & Molecular Biosciences SCMB
- UniQuest Pty Limited
- University of Southern Queensland USQ
- University of Southern Queensland - Ipswich USQ
- University of Southern Queensland - Springfield USQ
- University of the Sunshine Coast USC
- University of the Sunshine Coast - Fraser Island USC
- University of the Sunshine Coast - Gympie USC
- Viertel Cancer Research Centre CRC
- Walkamin Research Facility