Health and medical
Queensland is a highly attractive knowledge hub with successes in health and medical research in close association with Queensland’s research hospitals.
Queensland researchers are world leaders in viral, bacterial and parasitic infection, vaccine research and drug discovery, with tropical diseases being a particular strength. The state is also a centre of excellence for research and application of cellular and molecular neuroscience, including advanced therapies for cancer. Queensland also has strengths in imaging and developing medical devices and applying information and communication technology to improve health services and clinical treatment.
Queensland Health is the lead government agency that manages the overall health system. It works in collaboration with the Hospital and Health Services Boards and the state’s major health and medical research institutes and centres in health and medical research.
Queensland has nine universities including three of Australia’s largest. All of these have strong research linkages with Queensland’s research hospitals and dedicated world-class research institutes and centres. Details of the 200 plus research centres in Queensland are available by searching the Queensland science capability directory.
Queensland life sciences
Discover more about Queensland's strengths in health and medical research in the Queensland life sciences brochure.
Find out why top researchers and industry leaders are saying Queensland is one of the best places in the world for life science research.
Queensland has a globally competitive life sciences industry with a proven track record of success.
The Queensland Government has invested heavily in state-of-the-art research facilities which provide excellent base for scientists to work collaboratively.
Queensland biodiversity also presents significant opportunities for life sciences.
The researchers have achieved health breakthroughs such as Gardasil and Nanopatch that are world class.
Collaborating with researchers and investors, the Queensland life sciences industry will open up new opportunities.
Our investors and collaborators find it’s easy to do business here.
Professor Ian Frazer AC
The University of Queensland
Translational Research Ambassador
Chair of TRI Foundation Board
Co-inventor of Gardasil
Queensland has invested in over 20 years of providing the infrastructure that will enable businesses working in the life sciences to succeed.
It’s also invested heavily in education to ensure we’ve got the talent here to help businesses succeed.
Overall Queensland is just a great place to do biomedical research.
Chief Executive Officer
Life Sciences Queensland
Because we are a western economy in a tropical world Queensland has the opportunity to lead in tropical health and infectious diseases.
And of course our proximity to Asia gives us a unique position.
The Novartis deal which was announced around the pain research that was done by Professor Maree Smith has resulted in the largest exit of an Australian biotech to date.
And we know that we have more of those types of opportunities in the pipeline.
Dr Kym Baker
General Manager, Patheon Biologics
Patheon offer a one of a kind offering in Australia which is contract manufacturing of biotherapeutics which are destined for use in Australian and across the world.
Our customers love the clinical trial schemes that offers them that competitive advantage to get into the clinic faster.
Director Business and Project Management
We’ve been able to very successfully attract a lot of international business, in fact 90% of our customers come from overseas to work here in Queensland.
They see a high amount of value in the collaborations we have between the clinical trials sites, between the research organisations the universities as well as the government.
The incentives they can benefit from, the R&D tax incentives as well as the clinical trial access schemes that allows them to fast track into Phase 1 clinical trials faster than anywhere else in the world.
Professor Yaping Zhang
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Queensland has many excellent research institutions and incredible scientists and the Queensland Government encourages innovations and that is important for our collaboration.
Distinguished Professor James Dale AO, FTSE
Queensland University of Technology
We’ve got a very, very good regulatory environment for doing this sort of work and we can go all the way through to field trial.
We’ve got a very strong intellectual property environment as well.
So we’re starting to get a reputation for excellence in life sciences particularly in tropical crops.
Professor Yaping Zhang
Queensland is very nice to live, and a wonderful environment and a pleasant climate.
Professor James Dale AO
We’ve been the envy of most other states in Australia when we talk about the support we get in Queensland from particularly from the Queensland Government.
And of course that’s been translated into real outcomes which I think we’re seeing now tremendous outcome from that investment into life sciences in Queensland.
David Hoey, CEO Vaxxas
Queensland is a wonderful place to do business. It’s very straight forward. The technology that we’re working on here has the opportunity to fundamentally change the way that vaccination takes place around the world.
We’re working with the World Health Organisation, the Gates Foundation on programs that can fundamentally improve vaccination in the developing world.
But the best place that we’ve found to do that development is right here.
Queensland has amazing researchers, strong medical capabilities and an enviable lifestyle.
Queensland the right place for life sciences research and collaboration.
Translating research outcomes into real life solutions to many of the challenges we face today.
We encourage investors and collaborators to experience why Queensland is the right place for your next venture in life sciences.
Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
Chinese Academy of Sciences
James Cook University
Life Sciences Queensland
QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute
The University of Queensland
Tourism and Events Queensland
TRI (Translational Research Institute)
Queensland Life Sciences
For more information… www.qld.gov.au/LifeSciences
Investment and collaboration opportunities
There are plenty of exciting opportunities for collaboration with or investment in Queensland's health, medical and research hospital sector.
Queensland health, medical and hospital-based research centres
Queensland boasts a critical mass of health, medical and hospital-based research facilities with over 130 institutes, research hospitals, precincts, laboratories and other research organisations including:
- Adolescent Risk Research Unit ARRU
- Animal Research Centre
- Anton Breinl Research Centre for Health Systems Strengthening ABRC
- Army Malaria Institute AMI
- Aus-China Centre for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine ACCTERM
- Australian Centre for Entrepreneurship Research ACE
- Australian Centre for Health Services Innovation AusHSI
- Australian Centre for Pacific Islands Research ACPIR
- Australian Centre for Robotic Vision ACRV
- Australian Infectious Diseases Research Centre AID
- Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology AIBN
- Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention AISRAP
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine - Cairns AITHM
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine - Townsville AITHM
- Australian Prostate Cancer Research Centre - Queensland APCRC-Q
- Australian e-Health Research Centre AEHRC
- BioBank BB
- Bond University
- Central Queensland University - Mackay CQUniversity
- Centre for Advanced Imaging CAI
- Centre for Biodiscovery and Molecular Development of Therapeutics CBMDT
- Centre for Biosecurity and Tropical Infectious Diseases CBTID
- Centre for Children’s Health Research CCHR
- Centre for Clinical Research UQCCR
- Centre for Comprehensive Biomedical Imaging ACRF-CCBI
- Centre for Crop Science QAAFI CPS
- Centre for Genetics, Ecology and Physiology
- Centre for Health, Informatics, and Economic Research CHIER
- Centre for High Performance Polymers CHPP
- Centre for Human Factors and Sociotechnical Systems CHFSS
- Centre for Immunotherapy and Vaccine Development QIMR-CIVD
- Centre for Integrated Preclinical Drug Development CIPDD
- Centre for Medical Diagnostic Technologies Queensland MedTeQ
- Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis CMM
- Centre for Nutrition and Food Science CNAFS
- Centre for Online Health COH
- Centre for Research in Evidence-Based Practice CREBP
- Centre for Urology Research CUR
- Centre for Work, Organisation and Wellbeing WOW
- Centre of Research Excellence in Stillbirth StillbirthCRE
- Clem Jones Centre for Ageing Dementia Research CJCADR
- Clem Jones Centre for Neurobiology and Stem Cell Research
- Clem Jones Research Centre for Regenerative Medicine CJRCRM
- Clinical Trials Centre CTC
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO
- Community for Open Antimicrobial Drug Discovery CO-ADD
- Comparative Genomics Centre CGC
- Compounds Australia
- Diamantina Institute UQDI
- Forensic and Scientific Services FSS
- Functional Foods Research Group FFRG
- Genomics Clinical Trials Centre GCT
- Genomics Research Centre GRC
- Global Change Institute GCI
- Griffith Institute for Drug Discovery GRIDD
- Griffith University - Gold Coast GU
- Griffith University - Logan GU
- Griffith University - Mt Gravatt GU
- Griffith University - Nathan GU
- Health and Food Sciences Precinct
- Herston Imaging Research Facility HIRF
- Inflammation and Healing Research Cluster INFLAME
- Institute for Glycomics
- Institute for Integrated and Intelligent Systems IIIS
- Institute for Molecular Bioscience IMB
- Institute for Social Science Research ISSR
- Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation IHBI
- Institute of Health and Sport
- International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health ILAQH
- James Cook University - Cairns JCU
- James Cook University - Mackay Education Research Centre JCU
- James Cook University - Mount Isa Centre for Rural and Remote Health JCU
- James Cook University - Thursday Island JCU
- James Cook University - Townsville JCU
- Law Futures Centre
- Life Sciences Queensland Ltd LSQ
- Mater Research
- Mater Research Institute MRI-UQ
- Medical Engineering Research Facility MERF
- Menzies Health Institute Queensland MHIQ
- NURTURE Research Cluster NURTURE
- Nanomaterials Centre Nanomac
- Nursing and Midwifery Education and Research Unit NMERU
- Pharmacy Australia Centre of Excellence PACE
- Princess Alexandra Hospital PAH
- QFAB Bioinformatics QFAB
- QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute
- Queensland Alliance for Environmental Health Sciences QAEHS
- Queensland Animal Science Precinct QASP
- Queensland Bioscience Precinct QBP
- Queensland Brain Institute QBI
- Queensland Centre for Advanced Materials Processing and Manufacturing AMPAM
- Queensland Centre for Advanced Technologies QCAT
- Queensland Centre for Domestic and Family Violence Research - Brisbane QCDFVR
- Queensland Centre for Domestic and Family Violence Research - Mackay QCDFVR
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research QCMHR
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research - Neurobiology QCMHR
- Queensland Centre for Mental Health Research - Psychiatric Genomics QCMHR
- Queensland Cerebral Palsy and Rehabilitation Research Centre QCPRRC
- Queensland Children’s Hospital LCCH
- Queensland Conservatorium Research Centre QCRC
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, CQU QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, GU QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, JCU QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, QUT QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, UQ QCIF
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, USQ QCIF
- Queensland Eye Institute QEI
- Queensland Micro- and Nanotechnology Centre QMNC
- Queensland Museum
- Queensland University of Technology - Gardens Point QUT
- Queensland University of Technology - Kelvin Grove QUT
- RECOVER Injury Research Centre
- Research Computing Centre RCC
- Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital
- Sport Performance Innovation and Knowledge Excellence SPIKE
- Sustainable Minerals Institute SMI
- The University of Queensland - Gatton UQ
- The University of Queensland - Herston UQ
- The University of Queensland - St Lucia UQ
- Townsville Hospital THHS
- Translational Research Institute TRI
- UQ School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences SCMB
- UniQuest Pty Limited
- University of Southern Queensland - Ipswich USQ
- University of Southern Queensland - Springfield USQ
- University of Southern Queensland - Toowoomba USQ
- University of the Sunshine Coast - Fraser Island USC
- University of the Sunshine Coast - Gympie USC
- University of the Sunshine Coast - Sunshine Coast USC
- Viertel Cancer Research Centre CRC
- Visualisation and eResearch ViseR
- Wesley Medical Research - Buderim Private Hospital WMR
- Wesley Medical Research - St Andrew's War Memorial Hospital WMR
- Wesley Medical Research - St Stephen's Hospital WMR
- Wesley Medical Research - Wesley Hospital WMR