Queensland science capability directory
Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis (CMM)
The University of Queensland
The Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis (CMM) is an interdisciplinary research, teaching and service centre which plays an integral role within the science programs of The University of Queensland, participating both in undergraduate and postgraduate education. The Centre provides access to, expert advice and training in cutting edge electron and X-ray microscopy and microanalysis. CMM is a lead node in the Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Facility (AMMRF).
Key science sectors
- Advanced manufacturing
- Defence, aviation & space
- Environment & nature
- Food & agriculture
- Health & medical
- Life sciences
Strengths and capabilities
- Platform electron microscopy services
- Advanced sample preparation
- Cryo-electron microscopy
- Electron diffraction and microanalysis
- X-ray diffraction and scattering
- X-ray surface analysis
- Electron probe microanalysis
- Chemical surface analysis
- 3D Data visualization
- Data analysis and processing
Facilities and major equipment
- Transmission electron microscopy
- Scanning electron microscopy
- Cryo electron microscopy
- Focused ion beam microscopy
- Surface chemical and structural analysers
- X-ray thin film, powder and micro diffractometers
- Small angle X-ray scattering
- Electron diffraction and spectroscopy
- Electron microanalysis
- Microscopy sample preparation facility including cryo preparation
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
AIBN, Building 75, Cooper Road, St Lucia, 4067
- Professor Roger Wepf—Pioneered cryo-preparation, microscopy & connectivity tools for light, and electron and analytical imaging.
- Professor Rob Parton—Professor Parton is an expert in cellular electron microscopy. His work has helped uncover the cause of a number of human diseases.
- Professor Jin Zou—Pro Zou's research has led to over 560 publications, 12,500+ citations, an H-index of 54 and the development of advanced materials.
Achievements of the centre
- Vaxxas: Nanopatch, patented needleless drug and vaccine delivery technology
- TenasiTech: Native spinifex for advanced composite materials. Patent application under PCT.
- A novel drug delivery vehicle and vaccine technology. Patent application under PCT, Published: Cell and Nanoscale.
- National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Scheme
- University Characterisation Platform
Help us improve this directory by taking a short survey. Take the survey (new window)