Vulcan Coal Mine EA and PRCP amendment application (A-EA-AMD-100175487)
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT 1994
Vulcan Coal Mine
Resource activity: Mining activity relating to a mining lease
It is advised that Queensland Coking Coal Pty Ltd has lodged an application for a major amendment to an environmental authority and a PRCP schedule in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1994. The environmental authority and PRCP schedule being amended are EA0002912 and PRCP-EA0002912-V4.
The application relates to proposed activities at the Vulcan Coal Mine which include the establishment of a coal handling and preparation plant, train load-out facility, a dedicated rail loop and small open cut pit on ML700060. Ancillary infrastructure will also be required, which includes product stockpiles, updated water management infrastructure, access roads and several minor amendments to existing infrastructure layouts. The proposed activities require amendments to the EA and PRCP Schedule. The Mine is located in the Bowen Basin, Queensland. It lies adjacent to Saraji Road, 33 kilometres (km) south-southeast of Moranbah and 34 km north-northwest of Dysart.
The activity is proposed to occur on ML700060 and will involve the mining, processing and transportation of hard coking coal.
The application documents for the project consist of:
- the EA and PRCP Amendment Application (submitted in 2021) that includes the application form, the Supporting Information Document with technical appendices, and the proposed PRCP, PRCP Schedule, and PRCP spatial files
- a Notice of Change to the application (submitted in 2022); and,
- documents (submitted in 2023) responding to a Request For Information (RFI) that includes the RFI Response Document with technical appendices, and Final proposed PRCP, PRCP Schedule and PRCP spatial files.
Application documents may be inspected or accessed via the department’s website or at Vitrinite.
Copies of, or extracts from, the application documents may also be obtained at the Moranbah Library – Lot 1 Town Square Ave, Moranbah.
It is advised that any person may make a submission about the application documents during the submission period, between from 20 January to 20 February 2023. Submission must be received on or before 4.30pm on the last day of the submission period. Submissions must be sent to:
Business Centre Coal
Department of Environment and Science
PO Box 3028, Emerald QLD 4720
The Department of Environment and Science as administering authority shall accept all properly made submissions and may accept written submissions even if they are not properly made. A properly made submission must meet all of the following requirements:
- be written or made electronically
- state the name and address of each submitter
- be made to the administering authority stated above
- be received on or before the last day of the submission period
- state the grounds of the submission and the facts and circumstances relied on in support of the grounds.
Enquiries about the application can be made directly to: CRMining@des.qld.gov.au
Intending submitters may contact the Department of Environment and Science on 1300 130 372 to obtain a submission form or obtain a copy from the department's website .