Latest COVID-19 impacts—Queensland national parks, state forests and recreation areas. Check the latest information and updates.
Cardwell crocodile death update
Issued: 15 March 2019
The Queensland Police Service (QPS) and the Department of Environment and Science (DES) are investigating the suspicious death of an icon crocodile at Cardwell, in far north Queensland.
Samples have been taken from the scene and are being analysed by experts from both DES and QPS.
Residents in the area should be particularly vigilant as the death of this iconic crocodile could destabilise the balance of the local crocodile population as other male crocodiles compete aggressively for the territory vacated by the large animal.
Cardwell residents are urged to be cautious when undertaking activities on or near the water in the coming weeks and months.
Any crocodile that poses a threat to human safety is targeted for removal under the Queensland Crocodile Management Plan.
Members of the public are encouraged to report crocodile sightings as soon as possible, by calling 1300 130 372. DES investigates all reports it receives.
Cardwell is known croc country and people in the area are reminded to always be Crocwise.
- Expect crocodiles in ALL northern Queensland waterways even if there is no warning sign
- Obey all warning signs – they are there to keep you safe
- Be aware crocs also swim in the ocean and be extra cautious around water at night
- Stay well away from croc traps – that includes fishing and boating
- The smaller the vessel the greater the risk, so avoid using canoes and kayaks
- Stand back from the water’s edge when fishing and don’t wade in to retrieve a lure
- Camp at least 50 metres from the edge of the water
- Never leave food, fish scraps or bait near water, camp site or boat ramp
- Never provoke, harass or feed crocs
- Always supervise children near the water and keep pets on a lead
- Remember, you are responsible for your own safety in Croc Country
- Report all croc sightings to DES by calling 1300 130 372.
Further information on being Crocwise is available at Crocodiles—Be Crocwise.