First Nations Gap Year Program
Applications are now open for the 2022 Gap Year positions. To apply, please read the below information and email forms and documents to: email@example.com with “Gap Year Program Application” as the subject line.
Applications close on 8 November 2021.
About the program
The department recognises the importance of providing employment opportunities for First Nations People. The First Nations Gap Year Program provides Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students the opportunity to explore a range of occupations and build their capability and opportunities for employment.
Participants are employed on an 18-month contract and will participate in a structured learning and development program while gaining valuable on-the-job experience.
The program is designed for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who have completed Year 12 in the past three years with a pass in Maths and English. Successful applicants are appointed to an entry-level role in the department.
The development program for participants is conducted in four blocks throughout the 18-month period and is designed to develop participants’ knowledge and experience of workplaces and develop business capabilities. Development workshops include time management, office etiquette, writing skills, introduction to project management, and career planning. These workshops are supplemented by technical and on-the-job training provided by business units.
Roles available are:
- 1 x Ranger and Wildlife Officer (Cairns Based)
- 1 x Operational Officer, Science Division (SEQ Based)
- 1 x Project Support Officer, Environmental Policy and Programs (SEQ Based)
- 1 x Administration Officer ESR (SEQ Based)
- 2 x Administration Officer Corporate Services (SEQ Based)
How to Apply
Send an email to CareerPathways@des.qld.gov.au with a subject heading “Gap Year Program Application".
Make sure you include:
- Completed application form
- Senior Statement showing results for Maths and English
- Confirmation that you are of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, identified as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, or are accepted as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander in the community in which you live, or have lived (You can find out ways to confirm your heritage at Proof of Aboriginality)
- A short statement (of no more than one page) telling us about you, which role you are interested in, and why you are keen to join the program
- Your resume
Applications close 8 November 2021.
Please get in contact with the team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.