Our department recognises the enormous value a clean environment, innovative society and economy, and vibrant culture contributes to our lives.
As a diverse organisation, the department brings together key areas of work to achieve our objectives for a better Queensland.
By being effective leaders and partners in managing, protecting and restoring Queensland’s natural environment and heritage, we help ensure the health and prosperity of current and future generations.
A summary of the department’s objectives and key strategies to achieve these outcomes is outlined in the department’s strategic plan .
As part of our commitment to eliminating domestic and family violence in Queensland, the department is a White Ribbon Australia accredited workplace.
- protect and manage our parks, forests and the Great Barrier Reef for current and future generations
- enhance Queensland’s ecosystems
- conserve and protect Queensland’s biodiversity and threatened species
- protect significant heritage places
- implement improved waste management and resource recovery
- develop and deliver programs supporting climate action
- avoid, minimise or mitigate impacts to the environment.
- lead the development of science strategy for government
- deliver scientific expertise to protect and manage our environment and natural resource base
- support the development of Queensland’s science sector.
- drive the government’s policy and program direction for young people in Queensland
- oversee and report on the delivery of the Queensland Youth Strategy
- deliver a range of youth programs such as Queensland Youth Week and the Queensland Indigenous Youth Leadership Program
- provide opportunities for the voices of young people to be heard by the Queensland Government through Speak Out and other initiatives
- provide youth strategy and engagement advice across government.